Loaded with microgreens and wholegrains, and soaked with a punchy dressing, this salad is nutrient dense and full of flavour! It keeps for 2 to 3 days in the fridge, so this big batch recipe is handy if you’re wanting to eat more and cook less! Goes well with a side of roasted sweet potatoes, succulent grilled chicken breast or eat on its own as a complete meal!
2 ¼ cups boiling water
1 ½ cups uncooked buckwheat grouts
3 cups chopped curly parsley leaves (approx. 1 large bunch)
½ cup chopped mint leaves
½ cup chopped coriander leaves and stalks
300g punnet mini roma tomatoes
½ of a large continental cucumber
1 x 400g tin chickpeas
½ of a large red onion, diced
3 large lemons, zest + juice (about 1 cup of juice)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsn runny honey
1 tspn ground cumin
½ tspn sea salt
¼ tspn cracked pepper
- Put the kettle on to boil, and put the dry buckwheat in a medium size saucepan on medium-high heat
- Toast the buckwheat for 5 minutes (or until they start to make a popping sound), stirring regularly so they don’t burn
- Turn stove heat down to low as possible and measure the boiling water into the saucepan, being sure to stand clear as the water will sizzle and splatter as soon as it enters the saucepan
- Place the lid on the saucepan and leave to simmer on very low heat for 15 minutes and no longer! DO NOT lift the lid at any stage
- Once the 15 minutes is up, turn off stove and let buckwheat sit for 10minutes with the lid on
- At this stage, thoroughly wash and spin out (in a lettuce spinner) all your herbs – the curly parsley, mint and coriander.
- Tip out the buckwheat onto a large baking tray and sit on the bench to cool down
- Pinch the leaves off the parsley and the mint, chop finely and place into a very large bowl
- Chop the coriander and add to the bowl
- By now the buckwheat have cooled – add it to the bowl of herbs and mix well
- Finely dice red onion and add to the bowl
- Dice the cucumber into quarters and cut mini roma tomatoes in small rounds – add to the bowl
- Drain and rinse the tinned chickpeas – add to the bowl and give everything a good mix!
- Put bowl in fridge for salad to chill while you prepare the dressing
- Zest the lemons and add to a very large glass jar (that has a lid!)
- Juice the lemons and add to the jar
- Add the olive oil, honey, ground cumin, salt and pepper
- Secure the lid tightly and shake it like a polaroid picture… ha!
- Take salad out of the fridge and tip as much of the dressing on as you like (I’d go all of it. Trust me) – and ENJOY!!
NOTE: Salad will keep in fridge for 2-3 days. Tomatoes and cucumber will lose their crunch a little but will still taste great!
Also, all measurements are approximates – feel free to add as much or as little of each ingredient as you like according to your taste preferences – this is a flexible recipe!
Buckwheat is gluten free, for those who are intolerant and were wondering!
Need help eating better, improving your health and fitness, and finally getting the body you want without the pain of dieting and exercise taking over your life?
Sign up to our FREE weight loss eCourse to discover the best eating, exercise, & lifestyle strategies to help you lose weight and keep it off without the pain of dieting & exercise taking over your life
To make sure you don’t miss a spot in our Confidence Avalanche Body & Lifestyle Program, we strongly advise you to sign up now to join our Priority List. You’ll receive up to 15% off the regular price of our program, and will be the first to know when we have a spot available. This means you don’t have to wait until our Intake dates, which only occur twice a year when spots sell out within hours.